Chapter 1B - Family and Celebrations


 

    After covering this chapter and learning so much more about families in Francophone cultures, I see a big difference between my culture and Francophone cultures. Many of the examples listed in classes show that in Francophone cultures, older generations live alongside their children and grandchildren. My grandparents live independently, and have their own home. We visited them frequently growing up, but since getting our own lives and moving away, my siblings and I see them less and less. I also know that in the United States, elders are more likely to be put into care homes and be not visited. Despite this difference, I do think that the value of family is very similar across both cultures. My home state is very family-oriented, and I believe that many of the Francophone cultures we have explored share this value. 

Looking at the invitations/announcements on textbook page 37, I would say that the biggest difference between the example invitations/announcements and those in the US is the formality. In the United States stationary for announcements, especially wedding invitations are very formal. The examples are very colorful and use formal language, but also depict a more informal design, incorporating family that may not be directly involved in the celebration (like the child announcing the parent's wedding.) Many announcement cards that I've received for special occasions use neutral color pallets, curling scripts, and formal language. 

"DreamDay Invitation - Birdcage Wedding Invitation." 16 November 2012. Belinda. Dreamday Invitations.https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/DreamDay_Invitations_-_Birdcage_Wedding_Invitations.jpg

I think that there are many similarities between the household pets that the French keep in comparison to the United States. The only further examples I could provide in regards to pets kept in the United States are in rural areas of the country. Where I grew up it was not uncommon for my classmates who lived on farms to have large animals as pets. Horses, pigs, rabbits, ducks, goats, and chickens that were not raised to be slaughtered were all considered pets and just as much members of the family as small animals. I also think that the video example of the dog walking with the woman on busy city streets suggests that dogs are better trained in cultures outside the United States. I know of many poorly trained animals that are allowed to do nearly whatever they want without their owners caring. 

French holidays are similar to many in the United States because many of the religious holidays observed here are also observed there. One major holiday in France is La Toussaint which is a day reserved for the remembrance of deceased loved ones - many Latin Americans also observe this holiday within the United States. Both cultures celebrate an independence day, and a winter religious holiday. Armistice Day is also celebrated in both cultures, but in the United States it is celebrated under the name Veterans Day. My favorite French celebration is Bastille Day, which is July 14th and France's National Day. I think that the events leading up to the French Revolution are fascinating and proof that people have power - men, women, and children, to make change when they work together. Bastille Day was a first step to giving the lower classes in France power, and made change that allowed for later Revolutions to occur. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Chandeleur - Trés Délicieux!

The Louvre - Defense Turned Profession of Culture

Découvre Occitanie!